We are thrilled to offer the Spanish dual language program at our school.
Eighth-grade students currently enrolled in dual language at Glacier Middle School will be automatically enrolled in the dual language program at Highline High School.
Dual language will be offered in 9th and 10th grade at Highline High School in the 2022-23 school year. The program will move up one year at a time until it becomes a 9th through 12th grade program in the 2024-25 school year.
Students in our dual language program receive 50% of their instruction in English and 50% in Spanish and are taught by qualified bilingual teachers. The program includes native speakers of English, Spanish and many other languages. Students have at least one language arts course and one content course taught in Spanish.
The goals of the dual language program are to help students:
- Become bilingual and biliterate, developing high levels of proficiency in two languages.
- Perform at or above grade level in academic areas in both languages.
- Demonstrate positive cross-cultural attitudes and behaviors.
- Being bilingual is good for the brain.
- Students in a dual language program have higher academic achievement.
- Bilingual people have greater economic opportunities than people who don’t speak two languages.
- Students in a dual language program learn about and respect other cultures and languages.
- Students benefit from a dual language program most when enrolled for 6 years or more.
To learn how to enroll in our dual language program, please visit our enrollment page.