Congratulations to the Highline High School Class of 2020. Our seniors have worked hard, and they deserve to be celebrated. Although a traditional graduation ceremony is not possible due to the pandemic, we have a creative way to celebrate commencement.
Seniors and families will be scheduled to rotate through a drive-through graduation ceremony for Highline High School at Olympic Interim Site on Monday, June 15. Wearing their cap and gown, each student will receive their diploma cover, get a professional photo taken, and be cheered on by teachers and staff with appropriate social distancing. Students will also receive senior awards, yearbook, graduation programs and Class of 2020 memorabilia.
It will be different than a traditional commencement with the whole class together. However, everyone will have a chance to be honored in front of their families, see the teachers who have supported them, and be at their school one last time.
Students will be scheduled for a specific time. Please stay tuned for more instructions.
Highline High School
Location: Olympic Interim Site Parking Lot
Address: 615 S 200th St, Des Moines 98198
Date: Monday, June 15
Time: 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Each graduate should arrive based on their assigned arrival time below.
- A – E: 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- F – Lo: 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
- Lp – Rh: 1:00 – 2:00 p.m.
- Ri – Z: 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Please complete this form by June 3 if you need transportation to participate in your graduation.
What to Expect
- Seniors and families will be scheduled to rotate through a drive-through graduation ceremony with staggered arrival times. (See times above)
- Wearing your cap and gown, you will receive your diploma cover, senior awards, graduation programs and Class of 2020 memorabilia.
- You will have a professional photo taken.
- As you exit the ceremony in your vehicle, you will be cheered on by teachers and staff.
- Families are welcome to decorate their cars for this event.
- Security will be present to ensure cars are moving through the route.
Expectations for Graduates and Families
It is extremely important that everyone follows social distancing guidelines for the safety of students, families and staff. If participants do not follow the guidelines, remaining graduation ceremonies for other schools could be canceled.
- Each graduate will be assigned an arrival time based on their last name.
- Graduates should arrive in a vehicle with only the people who live in their household. Following public health guidelines, individuals who are in a high-risk group or who are sick should stay home.
- Please come dressed in your cap and gown.
- Please arrive on time at your scheduled time. Families must attend the graduation ceremony during their allocated hour. There will be no makeup hour for families who do now show up at their designated time.
- Only one vehicle per graduate is allowed.
- Students must stay in their vehicles until instructed to get out. Grads will pick up their diploma cover in Tent 2 and walk to Tent 3 for their photo. They must stand on the marks on the ground and maintain 6 feet distance from others at all times.
- We ask that students come prepared with a face mask for when they step out of the car.
- Families may not get out of the vehicle at any time. Families who wish to take pictures must do so from their vehicles.
- No cars will be allowed to stop and greet teachers or staff. You are welcome to wave from the car, but you must stay 6 feet away from teachers and staff lining the exit route.
- To make sure all families can hear their student’s name announced, please do not bring noisemakers.